Call For Proposals & Registrations Now Open
Siyaphumelela Network 2021 Virtual Conference
22 (13:00) - 25 (12:00) June 2021
Call for Proposals
This conference will provide a platform for experts from the international community, as well as key South African role players, in the field of higher education data analytics to engage in conversations around evidence-based practices and national systemic interventions aimed at student success.
Call for proposals: 1 April 2021 - 31 May 2021
Notification of Acceptance: 6 June 2021
Registration: 1 May - 11 June 2021
We invite proposals from a range of disciplines (such as ethics, learning design, academic advising and STEM fields) that make use of data to support an integrative approach for student success. In particular we are keen to receive proposals of innovative projects that contribute to student success and throughput. Proposals should ideally demonstrate the application of learnings from the Siyaphumelela programme in their project and present empirical evidence of the intervention improving student success.
In particular, the conference is interested in:
● Leadership and innovation for student success especially related to equity and Holistic Student Success efforts
● The role of students in shaping student success
● Contemporary Learning design for today's students
● Authentic approaches to evaluation
Know your Data Workshop Series
The second phase of the Siyaphumelela (We Succeed) programme was launched in August 2020. Saide continues to act as a backbone organization for a network of 14 universities, working together to share experiences and innovative initiatives for improving student success at scale. One such initiative is a Know Your Data Workshop Series held between August to October 2020.
The Know your Data online workshop series provided an orientation to universities that joined the Network in 2020. In particular, its purpose was to fosters an approach to the understanding and use of the various categories of data that assist universities to better track and support their students.
- Coaching for student success
- Siyaphumelela’s maiden online conference
- Siyaphumelela initiative aims to expand use of data-driven approaches to student success
- Siyaphumelela Network 2.0's first virtual convening meeting
- Siyaphumelela Network 2.0 – the next phase of Siyaphumelela’s work
- A global scan of Emergency Remote Teaching (ERT)
- Become a Participant in the Siyaphumelela Network 2020-2022
- Siyaphumelela Initiative Expands
- Looking back and looking forward for purposeful planning
- First Year Experience Research Burgeons
- Blended Learning during #FeesMustFall
- Evaluating the 2018 Siyaphumelela Conference
- Moving to successful Maths Pathways
- The case of a student support initiative by a student success programme at the University of Witwatersrand
- Reflections on Siyaphumelela Conference 2017
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2017 underway
- Invitation to collaborate on research with UMALUSI: NSC Results as Predictors of Success
- Vacancies at SALDRU
- Saide Site visits to Wits and NMMU
- Understanding First-Year Student Success based on School and Home Background
- Ethics Symposium Oct 2016
- Siyaphumelela 2016 goes deeper in Durban
- Feedback from first-year undergraduate students -The Wits experience
- Achieving the Dream support
- Using evidence to improve and support student transitions at the University of the Free State.
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016 presentations and videos now available
- Resources from the February 2016 visit of the Siyaphumelela partners to GSU and Achieving the Dream conference
- South African Higher Education Dreaming!
- Reconceptualising equality and equity in relation to student success
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016
- Siyaphumelela Network 2.0 Launch
Aug 28, 2020. Webinar of the launch of the Siyaphumelela Network 2.0 launch.
- IP Problems
May 19, 2020. Copyright ownership concerns abound in the rapid shift to remote instruction.
- Open Educational Resources: OERs/Tools for Teaching/Learning
Sep 05, 2019.
- Student Support through Success Tutoring at the University of the Witwatersrand
Apr 10, 2019.
- An ode to the teacher-led writing classroom
Jan 03, 2019.
- #TheModiseNetwork: State of Higher Education in SA – Part 1
Oct 22, 2018.
- Let's Transform Work
Oct 03, 2018. A report, published by the Hans Böckler Foundation (HBS), on the recommendations of the “Commission on the Work of the Future” which comprise 55 thought-provoking impulses
- Design Thinking for Leading and Learning | MITx on edX
Aug 24, 2018. A hands-on course for education leaders to learn about design thinking and explore how it can transform classroom learning.
- Academic Advising and the Learning Effectiveness Program
Aug 02, 2018.
- Teaching for Meaning and Purpose
Aug 24, 2018.
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts April 2021
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts March 2021
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts February 2021
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts December 2020
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts November 2020
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts October 2020
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts September 2020
- Siyaphumelela Network 2.0 Launch Webinar - 26 August 2020
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts 30 July 2020
- Siyaphumelela News Alerts July 2020
- Hybrid Pedagogy
Hybrid Pedagogy (ISSN: 2332-2098) is a community, a conversation, a collaboration, a school, and a journal. It is a place to discuss critical digital pedagogy by advocating for students and fostering awareness of academic hierarchies.
- International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (iJET)
- Open Textbook Library
Boasting 857 textbooks . These open textbooks are licensed by authors and publishers to be freely used and adapted. Download, edit and distribute them at no cost. The Open Textbook Library is supported by the Open Education Network.
- The Institute of Design (D.school) at Stanford
The OERu makes education accessible to everyone. Coordinated by the OER Foundation, we are an independent, not-for-profit network that offers free online courses for students worldwide. We also provide affordable ways for learners to gain a
- Collaboration for Impact
Collaboration for Impact (CFI) is Australia’s leading organisation for learning how to respond to complexity through effective collaboration.
- Learning Analytics Report Card
This project asks: ‘How can University teaching teams develop critical and participatory approaches to educational data analysis?’ It seeks to develop ways of involving students as research partners and active participants in their own data
- Digital Ethics Lab
Based at Oxford University, the lab seeks to tackle the ethical challenges posed by digital innovation. The goal is to identify the benefits and enhance the positive opportunities of digital innovation as a force for good, and avoid or mitigate its risks and shortcomings.
- Carnegie Maths Pathways
A website dedicated to the Carnegie Math Pathways which allows one to sign up as an Explorer to learn more about their approach and impact, review their curriculum and instructor resources, and more.
- Higher Education Data Analyser
HEMIS Data presented through a dashboard