Umalusi Call for Research Collaboration
Umalusi, the quality assurance body of education provision, invites researchers to collaborate in a study involving all South African public universities and which is aimed at evaluating the ability of the NSC results to act as predictors of academic success at education institutions.
Closing date for applications is on the 28th April 2017. Please see the letter of invitation here.
- Saide Site visits to Wits and NMMU
- Ethics Symposium Oct 2016
- Using evidence to improve and support student transitions at the University of the Free State.
- Resources from the February 2016 visit of the Siyaphumelela partners to GSU and Achieving the Dream conference
- Reconceptualising equality and equity in relation to student success
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016
- Colleges use job-market data to shape curriculum
Sep 11, 2017. Community colleges use data gathered from online job listings to develop more programmes geared toward getting students ready for the workforce.
- 2017 Trends and Technologies: iPASS
May 28, 2017. The focus of this report is the 11 trends and 13 strategic technologies associated with Integrated Planning and Advising for Student Success (iPASS).
- Mining the power of data to boost student success
Aug 11, 2017. A news article reporting on the recent Siyaphumelela conference 2017 held at the Wanderers club in Johannesburg.
- Over half of SA students feel unprepared for tertiary education
Aug 21, 2017. A news article reporting on the The 2017 PPS Student Confidence Index (SCI) survey which reveals that less than half of respondents felt prepared for the transition from secondary to HEd.
- Why Open Data matters in Higher Education
Aug 16, 2017. A blog post advocating for Universities to to embrace the potential transformational power of Open Data.
- THE LEARNING ANALYTICS REPORT CARD
Aug 21, 2017. This project asks: ‘How can University teaching teams develop critical and participatory approaches to educational data analysis?’ It seeks to develop ways of involving students as research partners and active participants in their own data
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2017 VIDEOS
Jul 25, 2017.
- Summer Melt
Jul 17, 2017. A podcast ( with transcript available) on why students don't show up for college afetr applying to do so.
- Data Dive
Jul 19, 2017. Georgia State's extensive predictive analytics efforts are leading to better grades and student retention -- and more minorities graduating from STEM programs
- Student advising and use of national data : a way forward.
Jun 29, 2017. A report back from the Siyaphumelela workstreams. Presented at the Siyaphumelela Conference 2017 by Prof Alan Amory and Prof Francois Strydom on June 29th .
- Learning Analytics Report Card
This project asks: ‘How can University teaching teams develop critical and participatory approaches to educational data analysis?’ It seeks to develop ways of involving students as research partners and active participants in their own data
- Digital Ethics Lab
Based at Oxford University, the lab seeks to tackle the ethical challenges posed by digital innovation. The goal is to identify the benefits and enhance the positive opportunities of digital innovation as a force for good, and avoid or mitigate its risks and shortcomings.
- Carnegie Maths Pathways
A website dedicated to the Carnegie Math Pathways which allows one to sign up as an Explorer to learn more about their approach and impact, review their curriculum and instructor resources, and more.
- Higher Education Data Analyser
HEMIS Data presented through a dashboard
- Student Success Plan (SSP)
SSP is designed to improve retention, academic performance, persistence, graduation rates, and time to degree. The open source SSP case management software supports a holistic coaching and counseling model which expedites proactive interventions for stude
- Council on Higher Education (CHE)
The Council on Higher Education (CHE) is an independent statutory body established in May 1998 in terms of the Higher Education Act (Act No 101 of 1997),and it functions as the Quality Council for Higher Education in South Africa.
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET)
The Department of Higher Education was created in 2009 and is responsible for tertiary education, post-schooling and skills development in South Africa.
- Data Analysis and Data Visualisation Resources (OER Commons)
ISKME created OER Commons, launched in 2007, to support and build a knowledge base around the use and reuse of open educational resources (OER). As a network for teaching and learning materials, the site offers engagement with resources for curriculum ali
- Next Generation Learning - Resources on Learning Analytics
Next Generation Learning Challenges is a collaborative, multi-year initiative created to address the barriers to educational innovation and tap the potential of technology to dramatically improve college readiness and completion in the United States. This
- Learning and Knowledge Analytics Course Site
This site is devoted to learning and knowledge analytics – a growing area of interest to educators, administrators, and entrepreneurs.