Umalusi Call for Research Collaboration
Umalusi, the quality assurance body of education provision, invites researchers to collaborate in a study involving all South African public universities and which is aimed at evaluating the ability of the NSC results to act as predictors of academic success at education institutions.
Closing date for applications is on the 28th April 2017. Please see the letter of invitation here.
- Saide Site visits to Wits and NMMU
- Ethics Symposium Oct 2016
- Using evidence to improve and support student transitions at the University of the Free State.
- Resources from the February 2016 visit of the Siyaphumelela partners to GSU and Achieving the Dream conference
- Reconceptualising equality and equity in relation to student success
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016
- Ethical use of student data: narrative, guidelines and templates
Jan 19, 2018. The zip includes Guidelines on the Ethical Use of Student Data: A Narrative Framework, Ethical use of analytics in South African education, and assocaited policy templates
- Ethical use of Analytics in South African Higher Education
Jan 19, 2018. A narrative report describing the processes involved in the development of the guidelines on the ethical use of student data.
- Guidelines on the Ethical Use of Student Data: A Narrative Framework
Jan 19, 2018. A framework aimed at considering the different aspects and proposed guiding principles as basis for developing context-appropriate ethical approaches to the use of student data.
- Cross-Organizational Information Systems: A Case for Educational Data Mining
Dec 19, 2017. An article on research project work which aims to design a framework for the cross-organizational information system for assessment and decision making using machine learning with the emphasis on the educational sector.
- Education, Training and Work under Neoliberalism in South Africa: Toward Alternatives
Dec 18, 2017. This article conceptualises the overall relationship between a democratic society, socially useful labour and its implications for education and training and unemployment, particularly youth unemployment.
- Operation Phakisa Education: Why a secret? Mass surveillance, inequality and race..
Dec 04, 2017. This paper investigates several human rights concerns with respect to the South African government’s secretive plan to transform basic education, Operation Phakisa Education
- Big Brother set to watch each pupil
Dec 11, 2017. This article casts a spotlight on Operation Phakisa for Education (OPE), an implementation model to fast-track education technology into the public school system which may also serve other aims such as electronic surveillance.
- The Potential of MOOCs for Learning at Scale in the Global South
Dec 15, 2017. This paper explores the relationship between the MOOC phenomenon and the context of global HE before examining the possibility of achieving equity, quality and efficiency in online higher education at scale.
- Guiding Early and Often: Using Curricular and Learning Analytics to Shape Teaching, Learning, and Student Success in Gateway Courses
Dec 06, 2017. This chapter provides information on how the promise of analytics can be realized in gateway courses through a combination of good data science and the thoughtful application of outcomes to teaching and learning improvement efforts.
- Rethinking course structure: increased participation and persistence in introductory post-secondary mathematics courses
Dec 08, 2017. In this article, the authors describe the implementation of a modified course structure in a first-year undergraduate mathematics course which makes use of a combination of mastery learning strategies together with small class sizes.
- Learning Analytics Report Card
This project asks: ‘How can University teaching teams develop critical and participatory approaches to educational data analysis?’ It seeks to develop ways of involving students as research partners and active participants in their own data
- Digital Ethics Lab
Based at Oxford University, the lab seeks to tackle the ethical challenges posed by digital innovation. The goal is to identify the benefits and enhance the positive opportunities of digital innovation as a force for good, and avoid or mitigate its risks and shortcomings.
- Carnegie Maths Pathways
A website dedicated to the Carnegie Math Pathways which allows one to sign up as an Explorer to learn more about their approach and impact, review their curriculum and instructor resources, and more.
- Higher Education Data Analyser
HEMIS Data presented through a dashboard
- Student Success Plan (SSP)
SSP is designed to improve retention, academic performance, persistence, graduation rates, and time to degree. The open source SSP case management software supports a holistic coaching and counseling model which expedites proactive interventions for stude
- Council on Higher Education (CHE)
The Council on Higher Education (CHE) is an independent statutory body established in May 1998 in terms of the Higher Education Act (Act No 101 of 1997),and it functions as the Quality Council for Higher Education in South Africa.
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET)
The Department of Higher Education was created in 2009 and is responsible for tertiary education, post-schooling and skills development in South Africa.
- Data Analysis and Data Visualisation Resources (OER Commons)
ISKME created OER Commons, launched in 2007, to support and build a knowledge base around the use and reuse of open educational resources (OER). As a network for teaching and learning materials, the site offers engagement with resources for curriculum ali
- Next Generation Learning - Resources on Learning Analytics
Next Generation Learning Challenges is a collaborative, multi-year initiative created to address the barriers to educational innovation and tap the potential of technology to dramatically improve college readiness and completion in the United States. This
- Learning and Knowledge Analytics Course Site
This site is devoted to learning and knowledge analytics – a growing area of interest to educators, administrators, and entrepreneurs.