Siyaphumelela 2018 Conference Call for Proposals
The Siyaphumelela team is pleased to announce the call for proposals for our 2018 Conference to be held at the Wanderers in Johannesburg from the 12 to 14 June. As with previous years, the conference will host experts from both the international community as well as local role players to discuss the use of data analytics to support student success. We invite presentation proposals on the ethical use of student data related to the design of learning activities, academic advising, leadership and innovation to improve student success. Important dates for the conference are as follows:
- Call for proposals: 1 February -
1 April 2018Extended deadline 1st May 2018
- Notification of Acceptance: 14 May 2018
- Registration: 18 April - 28 May 2018
The submission will be reviewed by a panel of international and national reviewers who will consider the following criteria when evaluating the proposal abstracts:
- An explicitly stated main objective or rationale (i.e. a description of the problem that was addressed in the study).
- An outline of the methodology.
- A description of the intervention or project.
- The study's results.
- A conclusion, if any.
Maths Pathways Workshop
At the Siyaphumelela 2017 conference Dr. Bernadine Fong and Prof. Andre Freeman presented a keynote entitled “Getting ideas into action – the Pathways Instructional system” (available on our Youtube channel). They presented an alternative approach to teaching mathematics that makes use content relevant and useful to students and group work. The demonstrated that this approach greatly improved student mathematical proficiencies. In the subsequent discussion between the keynote speakers and the audience, it was suggested that a working group be established to address issues raised and to consider how the pathways approaches, successfully used in USA community colleges, could be implemented within a South African context.
- The case of a student support initiative by a student success programme at the University of Witwatersrand
- EXTENDED deadline! Call for applications for evaluation of the Siyaphumelela Project
- Reflections on Siyaphumelela Conference 2017
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2017 underway
- Invitation to collaborate on research with UMALUSI: NSC Results as Predictors of Success
- Vacancies at SALDRU
- Saide Site visits to Wits and NMMU
- Understanding First-Year Student Success based on School and Home Background
- Ethics Symposium Oct 2016
- Siyaphumelela 2016 goes deeper in Durban
- Feedback from first-year undergraduate students -The Wits experience
- Achieving the Dream support
- Using evidence to improve and support student transitions at the University of the Free State.
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016 presentations and videos now available
- Resources from the February 2016 visit of the Siyaphumelela partners to GSU and Achieving the Dream conference
- South African Higher Education Dreaming!
- Reconceptualising equality and equity in relation to student success
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016
- Dissecting a Glowing Report on Online Learning
Apr 18, 2018. Arizona State's report on digital learning draws cheers from online proponents -- and a few raised eyebrows from those who think the future is more complicated and warrants broader research.
- Integrated Student Support Redesign Toolkit
Jan 31, 2018. A toolkit for redesigning advising and student services to effectively support every student.
- 4 Ideas for Avoiding Faculty Burnout
Apr 04, 2018. A blog post on faculty exhaustion and strategies to overcome this.
- Sukhwant Jhaj : Redesigning Higher Education With The Student At the Center
Apr 09, 2018.
Apr 09, 2018. A blog post about SALDRU's new project Siyaphambili which builds on the work of Siyaphumelela.
- Going to University- The Influence of Higher Education on the Lives of Young South Africans
Mar 27, 2018. A ebook describing a study based on 73 interviews six years after they first enrolled as students with their narratives allowing for an examination of the impact of broader structural constraints & cultural &social conditions in HEd.
- Uplifting HBCUs As Models of Student Success
Mar 26, 2018. A news article commenting on how the academic success of black students from historically black colleges and universities in the USA are ignored by the media.
- Three Reasons Academic Advisors Should Be a Go-To Resource for Student Success Efforts
Mar 26, 2018. A blog post describing the importance of academic advisors and includes Twitter handles to follow on the issue of advising for student success.
- Learning Analytics for the Global South
Mar 08, 2018. A downloadable collection which considers how the use of data about learners and their contexts have the potential to broaden access to quality education and improve the efficiency of educational processes and systems.
- To What Extent and Under Which Circumstances Are Growth Mind-Sets Important to Academic Achievement? Two Meta-Analyses
Mar 05, 2018. The studies examined the relationship between mind-set and the effectiveness of mind-set interventions on academic achievement and potential moderating factors and concludes that the effect is weak.
- Collaboration for Impact
Collaboration for Impact (CFI) is Australia’s leading organisation for learning how to respond to complexity through effective collaboration.
- Learning Analytics Report Card
This project asks: ‘How can University teaching teams develop critical and participatory approaches to educational data analysis?’ It seeks to develop ways of involving students as research partners and active participants in their own data
- Digital Ethics Lab
Based at Oxford University, the lab seeks to tackle the ethical challenges posed by digital innovation. The goal is to identify the benefits and enhance the positive opportunities of digital innovation as a force for good, and avoid or mitigate its risks and shortcomings.
- Carnegie Maths Pathways
A website dedicated to the Carnegie Math Pathways which allows one to sign up as an Explorer to learn more about their approach and impact, review their curriculum and instructor resources, and more.
- Higher Education Data Analyser
HEMIS Data presented through a dashboard
- Student Success Plan (SSP)
SSP is designed to improve retention, academic performance, persistence, graduation rates, and time to degree. The open source SSP case management software supports a holistic coaching and counseling model which expedites proactive interventions for stude
- Council on Higher Education (CHE)
The Council on Higher Education (CHE) is an independent statutory body established in May 1998 in terms of the Higher Education Act (Act No 101 of 1997),and it functions as the Quality Council for Higher Education in South Africa.
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET)
The Department of Higher Education was created in 2009 and is responsible for tertiary education, post-schooling and skills development in South Africa.
- Data Analysis and Data Visualisation Resources (OER Commons)
ISKME created OER Commons, launched in 2007, to support and build a knowledge base around the use and reuse of open educational resources (OER). As a network for teaching and learning materials, the site offers engagement with resources for curriculum ali
- Next Generation Learning - Resources on Learning Analytics
Next Generation Learning Challenges is a collaborative, multi-year initiative created to address the barriers to educational innovation and tap the potential of technology to dramatically improve college readiness and completion in the United States. This
WedHow Analytics Can Support Student Success in Higher Ed
FriBlended Learning Case Studies
Birchwood Conference Centre, Kempton Park
Tue6th SAERA Conference 2018
North West University
TueSiyaphumelela Conference 2018
Fri4th Flexible Futures HEd Innovation Conference and Expo
CSIR Convention Centre, Pretoria
MonDigital Pedagogy Lab
University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, Washington
Fri13th International Conference on e- Learning
Cape Peninsula University Of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa